This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Telnet using Putty - You Have No Access (Connected once)

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
Z
Zeyra
Voice

Telnet using Putty - You Have No Access (Connected once)

Post by Zeyra »

I just installed windrop1.6.19, and managed to set it up, connecting through Telnet, assigning a nickname (the same as what the bot's name is on the server) and a password. This time, Telnet through Putty worked as it should, I could send messages and commands to the IRC server through putty.

However, I closed Putty (Bot stayed in channels afterwards), and now I am unable to Telnet to the bot again. I am able to run eggdrop.exe to make the bot appear in the channel in the server, and it parts when I end the process.

How do I telnet to the bot again? I have tried the old nickname I connected with the first time, as well as the new one I assigned - Neither seems to work, I keep getting "You have no access messages" for split seconds, before Putty closes.

I have thus far tried deleting the pid.botname files, starting the bot again. I still am not able to telnet to the bot like I did the first time.

As a note, I am running Windows Vista, connecting to the bot through 127.0.0.1
Trixar_za
Op

Post by Trixar_za »

Let me see, you assigned the password and nickname to the same name as the BOT and NOT to yourself? Correct? I think this is where your problem lies.

You need to identify yourself as the bot's master (you also have to add your nickname to the botmasters list in the conf file) and set a password - all this can be done from IRC. This is normally done while running in -m mode to generate a user file, which also allows you to type /msg Botname hello and then use the /msg Botname PASS yourpassword. You can then telnet into your bot by using the telnet port you have setup. When you get connected first type your nickname you identified with the bot with. For example, my IRC nickname is also Trixar_za, so the first thing I type is Trixar_za, I press enter and type in my password I set earlier with the PASS command. This allows me access to my bot. On home systems it asks your username and password in turn, so you'd probably not be in doubt about what to type. If in doubt, just delete the user file and run eggdrop.exe -m (there should a .bat file that does this for you) and try identifying as master (from IRC) again.
Z
Zeyra
Voice

Post by Zeyra »

Yes, thank you. It works now.

I was not able to message it with any passwords in IRC because I changed the wrong part of the custom "hello"-word in the configuration file, as well as picking the same nickname, which ... might have messed it up. =1

My only issue now is loading a module, but that is likely something for the other forum.