This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

What are core.xxx files?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
w
willyw
Revered One

What are core.xxx files?

Post by willyw »

Hello,

We recently had an unusual occurence: a dozen or so instances of the bot were found running with ps -u username.

No idea why.
I'm looking around now for clues.

I see a lot of files in the botdir named core.xxxx where xxxx is a number, some four digit, but mostly five digit.

What are they? and if there is some place good to read about them, please direct me. I didn't find it with google or forum search.

Thanks
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Those files are coredumps.
Roughly put, they're a snapshot of the process (the numbers tell the process id) leading up to a crash. They're mainly used to track down bugs, and are loaded into tools such as gdb. Once loaded, you could use commands such as bt (backtrace), which will show the chain of functioncalls which led to the crash.

google for core dump and/or gdb, and you'll find alot more information.
NML_375
w
willyw
Revered One

Post by willyw »

nml375 wrote:Those files are coredumps.
Roughly put, they're a snapshot of the process (the numbers tell the process id) leading up to a crash. They're mainly used to track down bugs, and are loaded into tools such as gdb. Once loaded, you could use commands such as bt (backtrace), which will show the chain of functioncalls which led to the crash.

google for core dump and/or gdb, and you'll find alot more information.
Will do.
I assume gdb is something that I would need to ask the server admin to install?

And thank you for the reply, especially so fast.
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

If it's not already been installed, you'd probably be better off having your admin install it, though you could try and build it yourself.
A third, though more complicated way, would be to build it locally - though for this you'll need a copy of the binary (eggdrop + modules) and any dynamic library it has loaded on the local server. Personally, I try to avoid this option whenever possible.

Also see the doc/BUG-REPORT in your eggdrop istallation for details on what you can do with the output from the coredumps.
NML_375
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Analyzing cores under Windows is... I'd say, a step beyond "option three", and something I wouldn't do volontary..

If you got your cores from an eggdrop running under a cygwin environment, you should be able to use the gdb provided by cygwin though.
NML_375
cengbrecht
Voice

Oops

Post by cengbrecht »

Sorry I thought he was talking about my server. I posted in the wrong area.