This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Encountering problems with IPv6 and Eggdrop

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
m
muppa
Voice

Encountering problems with IPv6 and Eggdrop

Post by muppa »

With Eggdrop 1.6.20 I didn't manage to use IPv6 at all, with 1.6.19+ctcpfix and ipv6 patch I managed to run it wiht IPv6 hostmask using -nt flag (not in background mode) otherwise eggdrop does not reach the server, but complains about DNS lookup failing.

I have set my-ip6 and my-hostname6 right, and my-ip pointing at the right address as well.

Where's the problem? It would be best to get it working with 1.6.20, and I've heard that people have managed to do this - but how on earth? :)

Do I need more patches? And why would it connect with -nt flag but not without it?
p
pseudo
Halfop

Post by pseudo »

My only suggestion is to try the 1.8 development snapshot. It has built-in IPv6 and SSL support.
Third party IPv6 and SSL patches have a long history of bugs and instability. Chances are that you'll have a better experience with 1.8 than with a patched 1.6.xx. Also, we (the dev team) are interested to provide support in case of any problems.
m
muppa
Voice

Post by muppa »

Alright, I'll give it a shot. What does it mean that the package is a snapshot? Do I still ./configure, make config, make, make install it just like the regular Eggdrop package?
p
pseudo
Halfop

Post by pseudo »

Since the 1.8 tree is in development, it's in constant change. A snapshot is the source taken at a particular point in time - once a day in this case.

After downloading it, you can proceed as you would do with a regular package. Information about IPv6 is available in doc/IPV6.
m
muppa
Voice

ok :)

Post by muppa »

the ipv6 works nicely and everything works alright! except.. the 1.8 tends to drop to EOF from client a lot. any way i could make a bit more exact logging on what happens when it does so?
p
pseudo
Halfop

Post by pseudo »

When does it drop to EOF? If we were aware of the problem, we would have already fixed it, most likely. Since, we're not, you should provide a full description. What kind of clients does it drop? Bots, DCC chats, telnets, scripted connections?

Paste a log or two from when that happens, even if the information seems insufficient.