This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

DCC/Telnet connection delay

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
K
Karunamon
Voice

DCC/Telnet connection delay

Post by Karunamon »

This is kinda a minor problem, but it drives me nuts so I thought I'd ask here :)

Running eggdrop 1.6.20 on Debian 6, if someone DCC's or telnets into the bot, after the connection accepts, there's a good 10 second or so delay before the Username prompt appears.

If you wait until this prompt appears before beginning to type, the connection will time out. What you have to do is enter your username, hit enter, then your password, then enter again before the prompt even comes up, then everything works great.

Is there a way I can get rid of this connection delay?
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

To me, it sounds like you're using some improper timeout values in your config file along with a firewall blocking identd lookups;
Could you post the following settings from your config file?
ident-timeout
connect-timeout
resolve-timeout
NML_375
K
Karunamon
Voice

Post by Karunamon »

Well now.. these numbers look convenient.

ident-timeout 10
connect-timeout 15
resolve-timeout 5

Any way I can turn off ident checking wholesale? IP addresses alone are adequate for my purposes.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

The reason for the delay is because the bot's telnet server is waiting for a response to an ident request on port 113.

If you join the partyline by some other method and watch events while you try to connect via telnet, you will see the connection attempt and some seconds later the ident timeout. Your telnet connection will complete after this ident timeout.

A possible solution is to run an ident daemon on the computer from which you are trying to connect to the bot via telnet. This means that the bot immediately receives an ident response and permits the telnet connection without delay.

I sometimes use Windows Ident Server 2.0 from :-
http://rndware.info/products/windows-ident-server.html

Windows Ident Server allows you to see all requests and responses.

If you are operating a PC with a direct internet connection you may need to allow traffic on port 113 through your firewall. If you are operating a PC with internet connection through a router, you may have to reserve a static internal IP for the PC and setup a virtual server on the router to direct traffic on port 113 to the reserved IP (otherwise the router does not know which internal IP address is supposed to receive the ident request).

I don't have the same problem using DCC chat from mIRC IRC client presumably because mIRC has its own built in ident server. If you use a standalone ident daemon, then you should switch off all others, such as the mIRC option, otherwise there is a conflict binding 0.0.0.0:113
I must have had nothing to do
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Karunamon wrote:Well now.. these numbers look convenient.

ident-timeout 10
connect-timeout 15
resolve-timeout 5

Any way I can turn off ident checking wholesale? IP addresses alone are adequate for my purposes.
Those values should work well enough in most cases.
There's no easy way to disable ident-checking, though you could set the ident-timeout to 1 sec to minimize the delay. Also make sure your hostmasks use a * for the ident-part to make your bot "disregard" identd's (technically, your eggdrop still checks them, but anything would match).
NML_375