This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

bot is nowhere

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
d
dobie
Voice

bot is nowhere

Post by dobie »

hi all i have done the set up everything is ok but i am getting this message in logs as bot is not getting into channels

this is the log
TERMINATE SIGNAL -- SIGNING OFF

what is this
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Roughly put, something or someone decided to kill your eggdrop by sending it a Terminate-signal (kill -SIGTERM pidofbot).

You could edit the die-on-sigterm setting in your config-file to ask your bot not to quit upon receiving a terminate-signal, but do a restart instead. Unfortunately, the most common response to processes not quitting on SIGTERM - is to send the SIGKILL signal instead, which cannot be caught, and immediately kills the process.

This might be a good time to check if your shell host actually permits users running eggdrops (or irc robots/background processes) in the first place.
NML_375
d
dobie
Voice

Post by dobie »

thanx nml i am running my processes on a centos 5.0 with direct admin vps
and i am stumped at what is happening everything else is working fine

latest unrealircd 3.2.9

anope 1..8.7

eggdrop 1.6.20

any ideas would help
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

Unfortunately, the answer remains the same. Someone or something is actively killing your eggdrop. Being a virtual private server, the system admins could easily have some service to terminate "unwanted" processes from the host. I suppose this could also be a matter of resource limitations.

You could try investigate system-logs and kernel messages (dmesg) for further clues.
NML_375
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

There is no discussion required here. The issue is your bot is being killed. What is killing it is pretty much moot. You need to READ your services "terms of service". Otherwise known as their TOS. A google search can find the below quote pretty easily. This sums up how 99.99% of companies operate.[quote=""the web""]I doubt any major web hosting company would allow eggdrops on their VPS or dedicated plans, I'm sure they probably have something about IRC app(lication)s in their ToS. If it's not being used maliciously, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem find(ing) a reliable provider (somewhere else).[/quote]