This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

slennox: rating system for the Tcl Archive?

Website and forum-related announcements and discussion, and anything else that doesn't fit in the above forums.
demond
Revered One

slennox: rating system for the Tcl Archive?

Post by demond »

rationale: many people don't have a clue which script would suit them best, download first available or random one (chances are it will be lame - we all know that most scripts there are, mildly put, naive), and then get frustrated when it turns out the script won't work (in many cases even load) as advertised

now, I can imagine that fair rating system is fairly hard to implement, but I believe you can come up with something :)
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
slennox
Owner

Post by slennox »

Yes, something is needed. The problem is simply time. Weekend is already eaten up upgrading the forum. As you know, it's not hard to implement a rudimentary ratings system, but one that is decent and not open to abuse would take time.

Best I could do at the moment is add a prominent "featured" scripts category which highlights the best scripts. I recall proposing a kind of "hall of fame" some time ago but didn't get many nominations. Perhaps they'll come once the section is actually up. Will need a few to start with, though, so if anyone has any suggestions, just reply here. Would probably be a good idea to stick to scripts that are likely to have wide appeal.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

rconsole by demond should get the ball rolling.
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
demond
Revered One

Post by demond »

well, you could restrict the voting to be allowed for (forum) registered users only, one vote per script, while limiting registration rate by IP/email (or better yet, allow only users with that many postings or more to rank scripts)

just my 2c
connection, sharing, dcc problems? click <here>
before asking for scripting help, read <this>
use

Code: Select all

tag when posting logs, code
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Voting based on rank would seem to be a bit more reliable and definitely not prone to abuse. Just a thought along similar lines to demond. :)
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
Linux
Halfop

Post by Linux »

Hello everyone,
nice idea :)
First of all we have to categorized the scripts as per their descriptions and/or functions because we have so many scripts and without compartmentalization it seems odd and little hard to clearify users that which script is good for them.
Well, we have two systems one is "Rating" and other one is "Ranking" voting based on rank is reliable but can't we combine both the things in one? like, if a script get a vote its rating becomes high and automatically its rank moves upwards or you can say promotes as compare to other scripts, possible? :roll:

-REGARDS-
I'm an idiot, At least this one [bug] took about 5 minutes to find...
Sir_Fz
Revered One

Post by Sir_Fz »

Maybe a comments system as well? where users can post their comments about a script (if that's not too much).
Linux
Halfop

Post by Linux »

right, well the above discussion is for those scripts we have or published. I've an idea for Furture purpose.
  • Read the following:
  • Every Script Author should be a board member.
  • Before publishing TCL Scripts on TCL Archive page first POLL start for every script and if its approve then it will publish otherwise no.
  • Ripped scripts will not be accepted.
Well, thats not all might be more will come to make this forum great, greater and greatest :D
I'm an idiot, At least this one [bug] took about 5 minutes to find...
awyeah
Revered One

Post by awyeah »

How about rating based on the NUMBER OF DOWNLOADS. I mean every website we normally goto on the internet be it download.com or any other has ratings based on the number of downloads.
·­awyeah·

==================================
Facebook: jawad@idsia.ch (Jay Dee)
PS: Guys, I don't accept script helps or requests personally anymore.
==================================
I
Ian-Highlander
Op

Post by Ian-Highlander »

awyeah wrote:How about rating based on the NUMBER OF DOWNLOADS. I mean every website we normally goto on the internet be it download.com or any other has ratings based on the number of downloads.
You already effectively have that by clicking the "Popular Scripts" link which shows the top scripts by the number of times they've been downloaded in number of downloads order.
"Insanity Takes Its Toll, Please Have Exact Change"
c
cache
Master

Post by cache »

Good ideas here...

My 2cents...

Instead of having the links in the Tcl Archive automatically download... have the link go to the forum thread with the download link in the first post, then people can reply about it... and best of all it would cut down time for slennox as the author of the script can be able to edit the first post and insert new update/ download link..

cache.
incith
Master

Post by incith »

I like the idea of allowing registered members 1 vote per script. I suppose this would require linking forum logins to script voting, or an alternative means of user management for voting.
sKy
Op

Post by sKy »

Nice ideas here.

Cache`s idea was one of the best. New scripts should be annonced in the forum first. If them are okay them could be uploaded to the script archive. The script archive should be linked with the orignal thread.
socketapi | Code less, create more.
De Kus
Revered One

Post by De Kus »

For persons like me who has threads for all his releases it would be a nice idea. Addionally I sometimes edit scripts with only simple proof of working tests, because I am too lazy to create all possible situations for the script :D. But I dont know how you can include it, without making it the default. Maybe add these threads as "more" or "details" link? Writing it as a "more details, versions and comments" might be a bit long :D.
De Kus
StarZ|De_Kus, De_Kus or DeKus on IRC
Copyright © 2005-2009 by De Kus - published under The MIT License
Love hurts, love strengthens...