This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

[SOLVED] Won't connect?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
S
Suxen
Voice

[SOLVED] Won't connect?

Post by Suxen »

Here's a great mystery that I seem entirely unable to solve. My configuration file is called run.eggdrop, just so I'd have something easy to remember.

From the command line:
# ./eggdrop run.eggdrop

It says:
Launched into the background

Yet I never see it connect and join the irc network and channel that it is set up to. However, if I use:
# ./eggdrop -n run.eggdrop

It connects to the network just fine! Why would this happen?
Last edited by Suxen on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
BeBoo
Halfop

Post by BeBoo »

Try telnetting to your bot after you run that first command and see if it's outputting anything or if you can even connect to it. Not sure what the -n flag is.

Brandon
S
Suxen
Voice

Post by Suxen »

Can't telnet into it either for some reason.

-n stops it running in the background so everything is sent to the console instead
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

You are having problems with threaded tcl-libraries not being properly detected as such, hence forking into background pretty much freezes the eggdrop.

Another reason for this kind of problems would be that there are multiple tcl-libraries installed on the system. However, with many recent linuxdistributions, this is an issue with libraries however.

A quickfix is to edit the config.h file after running ./configure, and defining the macro "HAVE_TCL_THREADS" to 1.
NML_375
S
Suxen
Voice

Post by Suxen »

Right on, thanks!! I felt like I was starting to go insane :D

For whatever reason, telnetting to the bot still doesn't seem to want to work even though the configuration is exactly as before, but I can live without it.
Alchera
Revered One

Post by Alchera »

Suxen wrote:For whatever reason, telnetting to the bot still doesn't seem to want to work even though the configuration is exactly as before, but I can live without it.
Try:

Code: Select all

/CTCP <nick> CHAT
Add [SOLVED] to the thread title if your issue has been.
Search | FAQ | RTM
S
Suxen
Voice

Post by Suxen »

Can't seem to get a response from it that way either, which is why I defaulted to telnet (which used to work, before I went through recompiling everything). But it's still not the end of the world having to work without it.

Edit: Nevermind, the telnet mystery was that for some reason something else ended up taking up the port. Go figure. All is now good and well again :D