This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

check for open port

Requests for complete scripts or modifications/fixes for scripts you didn't write. Response not guaranteed, and no thread bumping!
n
noobman
Voice

check for open port

Post by noobman »

Hi, i'd like if you have a bit of time, to make a tcl script to can check for open ports. I mean, if some proxies join a channel, then from my private channel i be able to type "!port nick" or "!port xx.xx.xx.xxx(ip)" and then the bot check for open ports, for example that person has port 1080 open, then the bot answer me saying: The user specified has the following ports open : 1080, 1024, 80, ... etc..."
Its to can check it and then, add the ports to my port ban bot for proxies. Thanks.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

irc defaults to opening ports 1024-1023+x (x being amount of get/send/chat windows) for dccget/dccsend/dcc-chat window slots. So in effect, you can just not let anybody on your network.. why scan?

Btw, you must have 1 slot, it doesn't let you pick 0... but it does let you change this range from it's default to any port range. But keep in mind your killing everyone and they already leave, you pissed them off. I wouldn't want to visit a network where I need to change my defaults. I would leave. You make people change too much to visit you that they don't need to change to visit anywhere else, and guess what? After some time, they won't visit you anymore at all because of that hassle. To keep users you need to use a light touch, like a pickpocket or a safecracker. If you do too much people get dependent. If you do too little people lose hope. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all (yes, I love futurama :)).
Last edited by speechles on Sun May 25, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n
noobman
Voice

mmm

Post by noobman »

i dont understand you. I mean when proxies join, like mass join, then in my private channel, i type !port nick or !port ip and then the bot checks the ip and tells me, that user has for example 34528 por opened, then i can ban that port with another bot if its a custom proxy port. just that.
speechles
Revered One

Re: mmm

Post by speechles »

noobman wrote:i dont understand you. I mean when proxies join, like mass join, then in my private channel, i type !port nick or !port ip and then the bot checks the ip and tells me, that user has for example 34528 por opened, then i can ban that port with another bot if its a custom proxy port. just that.
Is this something you will possibly use to hack people, but you propose here in a non malicious manner? Ya know, it could be used for good as well as evil. As well what I don't understand is the need to protect your channel this way. Your network does this (If they don't leave, that network sucks, it's this simple). To have a bot enforce this type of policy will decimate your channel. You are playing god in the wrong way... see my post above...
Last edited by speechles on Sun May 25, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n
noobman
Voice

mmm

Post by noobman »

if i was a hacker, do you think i would need your help in irc ? if i was a hacker, getting the ip, i could scan the port with programs, and then, hack them. But i want an easy way with a bot to can check the port, to prevent massjoin proxies.
strikelight
Owner

Post by strikelight »

speechles wrote:
noobman wrote:i dont understand you. I mean when proxies join, like mass join, then in my private channel, i type !port nick or !port ip and then the bot checks the ip and tells me, that user has for example 34528 por opened, then i can ban that port with another bot if its a custom proxy port. just that.
Is this something you will possibly use to hack people, but you propose here in a non malicious manner? Ya know, it could be used for good as well as evil. As well what I don't understand is the need to protect your channel this way. Your network does this. To have a bot enforce this type of policy will decimate your channel. You are playing god in the wrong way... see my post above...
Not all networks/servers scan known proxy ports, hence the existance of proxy flood-nets.

There are several proxy check scripts you can search for in the archive.
n
noobman
Voice

i know

Post by noobman »

i know there are a lot of proxy checkers, but if i dont have the ports the proxies use, i cant add them to the proxy scanner.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

strikelight wrote:Not all networks/servers scan known proxy ports, hence the existance of proxy flood-nets.
Don't use these types of networks, they are obviously white listed spammer contact networks and this is why the network admins do not enforce a proxy scan. It's them spamming you.. *shrug* Leave that network, it's simple, find another who openly embrace your channel and it's users. This happens every day.
n
noobman
Voice

oh my god

Post by noobman »

i use quakenet, the most famous network, im on irc for long years. but there are new kind of proxys daily with uncommon ports. tell me if you will help me, or i will take the help from another site.
strikelight
Owner

Post by strikelight »

speechles wrote:
strikelight wrote:Not all networks/servers scan known proxy ports, hence the existance of proxy flood-nets.
Don't use these types of networks, they are obviously white listed spammer contact networks and this is why the network admins do not enforce a proxy scan. It's them spamming you.. *shrug* Leave that network, it's simple, find another who openly embrace your channel and it's users. This happens every day.
Yea, that's really practical, leaving an established base of socializing and going to an obscure network where nobody else will follow isn't exactly a solution. Most popular networks suffer from this scenario, be it EFnet, Undernet, etc..
speechles
Revered One

Re: oh my god

Post by speechles »

noobman wrote:i use quakenet, the most famous network, im on irc for long years. but there are new kind of proxys daily with uncommon ports. tell me if you will help me, or i will take the help from another site.
Befriend on ircop on that network (i'm suprised you haven't already). Discuss your problem with someone who has more authority to control these types of drones. Then the network can come up with a solution rather than forcing their users to. If you've already discussed this and they blew it off. Then more than likely, their level of care about abusive traffic on their network is not a priority and that is sad. Perhaps at this point, I feel your pain, and we can propose a solution.. There is no need to push this to another forum, only a need to discuss why your network cannot provide this level of service on their own.
strikelight
Owner

Re: i know

Post by strikelight »

noobman wrote:i know there are a lot of proxy checkers, but if i dont have the ports the proxies use, i cant add them to the proxy scanner.
Scanning for simply ANY open port is not the way to go, as ports were designed to be opened for other things other than proxies, you will almost always end up finding atleast a single open port on an ip, most likely not being a proxy.
speechles
Revered One

Post by speechles »

strikelight wrote:
speechles wrote:
Yea, that's really practical, leaving an established base of socializing and going to an obscure network where nobody else will follow isn't exactly a solution. Most popular networks suffer from this scenario, be it EFnet, Undernet, etc..
efnet and undernet scan for proxies... your rebuttal falls flat.
newnet has migrated several times, dozens of emulation channel all collaborating the migration. So I know in competent hands, where channels heads talk to each other and help establish the community, this works. Migration is simple. Leave a few bots to give the new onjoin message for your new network, explain the problem of the old network and why the migration must regrettably take place. Where does this become a problem even on an established network? Do you equate the problem with population? Because sure in the migration, they don't need to migrate to you, they migrate elsewhere. You can surely get back to 90% capacity with competent channel heads. Shortly you will be back to 100% or even greater (because the proxy bullshit is finally ceased on your new home).
Last edited by speechles on Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n
noobman
Voice

ok

Post by noobman »

well, dont worry, thanks anyway, i will use fast open ports scanner program and then i will add the ports to my proxy check bot, i only wanted it to get all in irc and to no need to keep the program ON, just all from irc. But no problem, i will scan from fast programs, and all will be fine.
strikelight
Owner

Post by strikelight »

speechles wrote:
strikelight wrote:
speechles wrote: Don't use these types of networks, they are obviously white listed spammer contact networks and this is why the network admins do not enforce a proxy scan. It's them spamming you.. *shrug* Leave that network, it's simple, find another who openly embrace your channel and it's users. This happens every day.
efnet and undernet scan for proxies... your rebuttal falls flat.
newnet has migrated several times, dozens of emulation channel all collaborating the migration. So I know in competent hands, where channels heads talk to each other and help establish the community, this works. Migration is simple. Leave a few bots to give the new onjoin message for your new network, explain the problem of the old network and why the migration must regrettably take place. Where does this become a problem even on an establish network?
Hate to break it to you, but you must have your eyes closed, because proxy flood-nets most definitley exist on efnet and undernet, so sorry to say, YOUR rebutal falls flatter than a pancake. Also, the scanning is up to the server connected to the network to perform, and not all do. Also, they do not always scan for all common proxy ports. As for migration, most users on popular networks are there for more than a single channel, hence the popularity of said network. Thus the reluctance to leave that network for a single channel, despite the ability to connect to multiple networks, to many it just isn't worth it.