This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

How to configure virtual host when IP adres is internal?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
u
ujjain
Voice

How to configure virtual host when IP adres is internal?

Post by ujjain »

I have an eggdrop that uses IP 192.168.1.110. I wish to have it use a virtualhost (subdomain.mydomain.com). I do control 8 ipv4 ip-addresses, but I wish to share them among several servers. Only very important ones get dedicated IP addresses.

I wonder how I can properly configure a virtualhost and waht is needed. I have seen that on the Freenode network, the hostname of the bot is automatically the rDNS entry of the bot. I have also seen lot of users with cool custom hostnames.

I wonder if it is possible to customize the virtual host of an eggdrop, without changing the rDNS entry? A solution would be to give the Linux virtual machine a dedicated IP and point rDNS entry to the desired virtual host name. I however prefer to save ipv4 IP addresses and have the VM use a shared external IPv4 address.