This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Why is raw events such a bad thing ?

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
G
Gemster
Halfop

Why is raw events such a bad thing ?

Post by Gemster »

Hi,

I dont get it, in all docs ect it states that using raw numberic events is a bad thing but i dont see how it is if u have the correct raw numberic.

Thanks
Gemster
n
nml375
Revered One

Post by nml375 »

The problem with raw bindings are that they've got first shot at the incoming data, and has the ability to prevent further processing of the data (if your proc returns 1).

If you were to catch the 315 (End of WHO) numeric, and return 1 at all times, your eggdrop would never be aware of successfully joining a channel (it will "think" it's still waiting for the channel members list indefinitely).

Using raw bindings is not a bad thing per se, you just have to be very careful on what you're doing, or you risk breaking eggdrop's internal mechanisms...

Moderated: Moved
I took the liberty of moving this thread from the "Script Request" forum, as it's really not a request for a script to be written..
/NML_375
NML_375