This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Ok.. I give up, and I'm waving the white flag

General support and discussion of Eggdrop bots.
d
digilink
Voice

Ok.. I give up, and I'm waving the white flag

Post by digilink »

I've been trying to get my bot going for the better part of a week and it's just not working out for me and I'm going crazy trying to make it work.

Here's my setup:
dedicated VPS server
I use ZNC to connect my clients, Eggdrop is by itself. ZNC and Eggdrop are latest versions compiled from source. I connect to the IRC networks I'm on via IPv6 when possible, and ssl on the server and client side. IPv4 and IPv6 stacks are both protected with iptables, by default all outbound traffic is allowed.

As for Eggdrop... it is connected to the IRC network as a normal user (not through the bouncer), non-ssl. If I attempt to connect via DCC, it fails, whether or not I'm through my bouncer or as a standalone user. However, it will connect if I use /ctcp botnick chat as a standalone user, but not through the bouncer. I can also telnet to the bot on the port I have specified for it.

I've eliminated the firewall, bouncer, etc. for troubleshooting, but the problems remain persistent. I use mIRC most of the time for a client, and I have connected from 2 different networks with the same results.

If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

You are not alone in your issues with DCC chat. I'm afraid I can't respond with specifics regarding your dedicated VPS server because I don't use one, but I can give some hints at the type of problem that can occur.

My setup is a broadband connection through a router to several PCs, some wired and some wireless. I also usually use mIRC to access IRC on one of the wired PCs.

If I use /ctcp botnick chat or telnet to access the eggdrop (running on an external shell) my router seems capable of dealing with at least one thing without my intervention. Specifically, it directs the response to the PC that made the request.

This is not the case for DCC chat. The chat request is initiated over whatever ports are set in mIRC for DCC chat (in my case 10051 through 10060). The bot tries to respond but the router does not know which PC to send the response to.

Solution :-

Ensure that the PC I use for IRC has a reserved internal IP address on the router (static rather that simply chosen by the routers DHCP server). Then setup a virtual server on the router to direct incoming traffic on those same DCC chat ports to this reserved static internal IP address.

My router now knows which machine to send the response to and DCC chat functions as expected.

I hope this offers up some clues.
I must have had nothing to do
t
tamouse
Voice

Post by tamouse »

I think all you need to do is set up the router to port forward a set of ranges to the computer you are initiating the DCC chat request from.
arfer
Master

Post by arfer »

I have recollections of struggling with this problem several years ago. In particular I couldn't get simple port forwarding to work. I now have a modern fast router and as confirmation I switched off the DCC virtual server and installed port forwarding as you suggested. It doesn't work.

I know I tried to study the technical details relating to this problem and the concensus was that both port forwarding and port triggering is required for DCC to function (perhaps some routers do both simultaneously). I resolved the problem as explained above.

This is why DCC gives so many people so much hassle.
I must have had nothing to do