This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

need some help with dcc chat please

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
j
jimmy
Voice

need some help with dcc chat please

Post by jimmy »

I have an eggdrop bot on a linux box that is connected with a switch on my internet connection. No firewall and no router is used.

All functions work for everyone else but me. I cannot dcc chat or telnet the bot like I used to be able to.

I tried deleting the user files and starting from scratch with no luck. All my chat attempts time out.

However, if I start the bot in -m mode and let others be the owner, they have no problems with the bot at all.

Obviously the bot is functioning correctly, but there is something on my end that is preventing me to connect to the bot. Since I used to be able to do dcc chat and telnet to the bot, there must be an answer to this problem.

Ideas?

thanks in advance

jimmy
g
gk^
Halfop

Post by gk^ »

i donno but try telnet to the local ip
E
EEggy
Op

Post by EEggy »

did you try /ctcp bot chat?
EEggy
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

You claim you are connected to the internet, without some form of router. This is not possible as such, with any simple setup.

You would need to explain more about your network setup, before we could start giving any meaningful information.

What type of connection do you have to the internet?

What type of modem do you have? (There is allways a modem, though they are sometimes called bridge devices (which all modems are)).

Is it routed IP, or NAT based? Or more simply, what IP address is your linux box, a private subnet IP (IE 192.168.) or public (the MAC address of your linux NIC is assignged a public IP)?

You have not given any details about the client machine. How is this connected to the internet? And again, what sort of IP does it have?

While you say there is no firewall in use, this is helpful, and will rule out a lot of issues. However, a lot of the answers are heavily based on the types of conenctions between the machines.
j
jimmy
Voice

Post by jimmy »

My connection is this:

2 puters (1 XP, the other linux)

adsl connection with 3com modem in my home.

Both puters sharing same internet connection with a switch (not a hub) and each system has their own totally separate ip assigned by my isp.

Neither ip is 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Neither use NAT. My setup is very straightforward.

jimmy
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Your ADSL 3COM modem, is infact a router, witht he added benefit of having a switch built in.

The fact you use a switch should not affect anything regarding your setup, and would not make your connection benefit from anything. Hubs make all computers connected share the bandwidth in use, where as switches are inteligent, and only connect the path between two computers, when needed. This is almost like an automated way to directly connect 2 computers together, on demand.

On the XP machine, can you directly ping the pulic IP of the linux box?

This has the be the quickest way to check overall issues. It might be the case, that the router, is sending all traffic out of the network, but the ISP is failing to route it back to yourself.

This would be a router setup issue on your end, and is beyond the scope of myself.

If you can, then the following should be checked.

In the eggdrop, make sure that you have the correct setting for my-ip in the config file.

In XP, make sure your client has the correct IP and hostname in it's settings. In mIRC, this can be obtained by typeing $ip and hitting the TAB key.

If one or both of these are incorrect, fix them and try again.

If connection continues to fail, you should check to see if you can connect to any other service ont he linux box.

Beyond this,t he only other thing, is to see what eggdrop say about your failed connections (to imitate the console with most flags, start eggdrop with the -n flag)
j
jimmy
Voice

Post by jimmy »

I figured it out...

My isp changes ip's every few weeks...and because both my systems were on 24/7, the ip's couldnt update.

All I did was release/renew ip's a few times and once new ip's were assigned, everything worked.

Thanks for your input tho...I appreciate it :)

jimmy
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

I would contact your ISP regarding this, it sounds like your IP's are assigned by DHCP, but the leases are not correct.

They should be sending the correct lease time, so that a client can update at the proper time, rather than manualy.