This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Server connection problems

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
C
ClubCX
Voice

Server connection problems

Post by ClubCX »

I've been having problems with bots failing to connect for a couple of years now. It seems to affect different bots randomly and the problem always disappears on its own, usually after a day or two. I'm still not sure what the cause is.

The log simply shows:

[18:11] Connected to sandra.irctgnet.com
[18:11] [@]
[18:11] Disconnected from sandra.irctgnet.com

It has occured on dozens of the nets I've bots on, regardless of ircd type, and never strikes all the bots on the same net. Using .jump I can have the bot log onto another net successfully, but it simply won't log onto any servers on the *correct* net. Restarting the bot doesn't help either.

Net-side, there's no reason why the server(s) shouldn't let the bot connect. Netadmins are just as confused by it, and can't offer any advice. I thought I'd check on this forum incase it's due to a configuration error on my part, or even a known bug.

For reference, I'm running eggdrop 1.6.8. The problem only affects three or less bots in any given month. Scripts are not the cause.

If it's something simple, which I'm hoping for, please do save sarcasm for another time.

Thanks
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

This does seem like a NON-RFC complient IRC server/network.

From what I can see, the server is sending a single \n without any data before this.

This is obviously making eggdrop error out in some way.

I am unsure, and ask stdragn to check on this (your more competant, and other things). Eggdrops socket functions, provide Tcl with a nice ('n'cheesy) way of making in and outbound connections. Any procedure receiving blank data, should conider the connection closed.

Does this apply to the eggdrop sockets API that eggdrop uses for it's own sockets?