This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Eggdrop IDENT..?

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
D
DeCrys

Eggdrop IDENT..?

Post by DeCrys »

Eggdrop version 1.6.12 on RedHat 7.2
I have the following problem, while connecting to a server (IRCnet), the connection gets closed, and my address seems to be unknown@hostname.com .. the IDENT daemon is enabled, username set in the eggdrop.conf and so on..

A friend of mine on the same shell has similar configuration working fine, ~ident@hosmask.com

I tried the configured files that worked on his account, but the result was the same.. any ideas?

(a :beer smiley here)
M
MasterJM
Halfop

Re: Eggdrop IDENT..?

Post by MasterJM »

DeCrys wrote:Eggdrop version 1.6.12 on RedHat 7.2
~ident@hosmask.com

the ~ shows that your identd does not run ;)
D
DeCrys

Post by DeCrys »

yeah, well, that isn't my situation either, the question is concerning unknown@hostmask.com .. And the server requires an IDENT response before allowing connections.. Problems with IDENT or something else..
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

IRC servers place a ~ before your ident, if there is no identd running, or available for inetd.

So seeing ~username means the server allows him on, but didn't receive a identd reply (in most cases. it heavily depends on the IRC network).

If you are seeing UNKNOWN@hostname, it may just be the error displayed by the server (error messages are also IRC network dependant).

It may be that identd isn't running, or is blocked by a firewall rule.
D
DeCrys

Post by DeCrys »

OK thanks, IDENT is running, and I set the username field .. I'll look into it, if it really is a firewall issue, thanks!