This is the new home of the egghelp.org community forum.
All data has been migrated (including user logins/passwords) to a new phpBB version.

For more information, see this announcement post. Click the X in the top right-corner of this box to dismiss this message.

Detecting Bots on an IRC Network

Old posts that have not been replied to for several years.
e
extremejm

Detecting Bots on an IRC Network

Post by extremejm »

What would you need to do to detect bots on your irc network and how would you go about finding out the function of a bot (i.e. file sharing). :-?

I know I have some eggdrops in a few channels but I'd like to know what channels have bots and what are they doing. (I only allow file sharing in certain channels and by certain users)

-Xjm
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Such a task isn't that easy.

There are scripts that are designed to mimic as close as possible, other clients. This means that it may be near impossible to detect if a nickname is infact a bot.

This being said, to futher find there function is also hard. You could give a bot some form of customised anti-spam script. It would detect different patterns, and class that nick as a spammer, Fserv, jibberish, even go as far as detecting if a certain percentage of wording is in a dictionary.

These are not fool proof, and as more fserv scripts come out trying to minic other clients, chaging the designs of the messages and so on, so too does your script need to change.

Having your bot trawl channels isn't too much of the issue, and could be done easily, but as you can see, both user classification, and client identification are the real issue.
e
extremejm

Post by extremejm »

Well this gets into the problem of illegal files. I allow all forms of "talk" and my company will hold that line well into court. However, if I have users on the system swapping files then later the FBI comes knocking...

Basically I'd like to do everything in my power to prevent it without impeding free speech. And you can bet those users will just hop on someone elses network to swap files after we've turned to dust.

So where, in essense, could I start? Certainly it's vigilance that will prevail here.
p
ppslim
Revered One

Post by ppslim »

Services would be your best bet.

A statistics service that can count DCC CTCP requets.

Bots could parse the output from any stats commands, and take action accordingly.

I had seen one about, though not for a year or two.
U
U
Voice

Post by U »

Why not just disclaim you're not responsible for ANYTHING your users do? Alot of major networks have done this and I adopted that same policy-trying to stop them usually results in them attacking you and trying to ruin you. I simply place the responsibility for a channels contents and anything occuring in it on the channels founder or occupants.

I've dealt with 2 complaints so far, and pointing them to the disclaimer they get onjoin telling them they agree to it by using the network has stopped any further action. If people don't like whats in a channel they have a choice-don't connect to the network, don't use the channel.

I think my AUP only says about 10 times in it that we aren't responsible though-its repetitive but nessacary.

I can understand you wanting to root them out, and if you're looking to make a purely "chat" network thats cool-but if you're only monitoring them so you know where they are so if the cops bang on the door later-by finding them and knowing they are there-you have taken responsibility by showing you in fact CAN find them and knew about them being there.

Just my 2 cents-I debated this for a long time, talked to a few other networks, and decided it would be better just to lay the liability on the people who are committing the activities.
U
irc.foreverchat.net Founder